Thank you to everyone who has submitted images to our competition. The deadline for entries has now passed and winners will be announced on 18 June.
In 2016 the Royal College of Nursing celebrates 100 years as the voice of nursing.
To mark this milestone in our history we've joined with the Royal Photographic Society and NHS Employers to look for the best photographs that illustrate UK nursing in all its diversity.
We want to see your images showing nursing in different environments; whether that’s a hospital ward, an industrial setting or your own front room. It’s your chance to capture pictures of nurses, midwives and health care assistants both in and out of uniform; in the NHS and private sectors; as practitioners, teachers and students.
Collectively the photographs from this competition will contribute a record of contemporary nursing to the RCN archives, and shortlisted images will also form a touring exhibition that will help people understand that nursing is not just confimed to hospital wards, but comes in many different guises.
The competition is open to everyone - you do not need to be a member of either the RCN or the RPS. We also have a 15 and under category, so please encourage young photographers to get involved.
- The competition is open for entries until midnight GMT on 29 February 2016.
- Entry is free.
- There is four image limit on the number of entries.
- Images should be of UK nurses, midwives and health care assistants. However, where UK nurses are deployed overseas (eg defence nursing) these images are eligible for entry.
- Digital manipulation by software such as Photoshop is allowed, providing the authenticity of the image is not altered.
- We encourage images from all nursing fields, from all levels of experience.
- There are two age specific categories: Aged 15 and Under, Aged 16 and Over.
- 50 images will be selected for exhibition. All images will be deposited in the RCN archives.
- The exhibition of 50 images will tour the UK in 2016/2017, commencing at RCN Congress in Glasgow.
- All entries must have associated model release forms.
How to enter
- Register to create a competition account- enter your email address, name and country. Once activated, click the email sent to you, and you are ready to upload your images!
- Upload your images and provide titles and descriptions of your work.
- Images need to be maximum 2500 pixels wide (if landscape) or 2500 pixels high (if portrait), and a maximum file size of 5MB when saved in JPEG format. Please use the description box to add information explaining the scientific associations within the image.
- View your entries- see the ALL IMAGES section and your images should appear alongside all of the entries so far.
Choosing the winners
The final 50 chosen images will be selected by an expert judging panel featuring representatives from the RCN, RPS, nursing and our guest judge TV and theatre actress Tamzin Outhwaite. The panel will also select the medal winners.
29 February 2016 - closing date for entries.
31 March 2016 - shortlisting and winners selected.
18-22 June 2016 - winners announced and exhibition launched.